The Legal 500 UK Bar Guide 2024 was released today, Wednesday 4th October. Members of Chambers have received 32 new rankings across 12 practice areas, bringing the total number of rankings to 208.
Special mention is given to the following members who have received a ranking in the Rising Star category:
- Stephen Donnelly in Tax: VAT & Excise
- Naomi Hart in Administrative & Public Law
- Owen Lloyd in Fraud: Civil
- Freddie Onslow in Shipping
- Katherine Ratcliffe in Commercial Litigation and Fraud: Civil
The set has been ranked as Tier 1 in the following categories:
- Art and Cultural Property: Tier 1
The barristers of Essex Court Chambers have been involved in prominent and high-profile cases in the field of art and cultural property, including cases of fraud, negligence and contractual disputes.
- Commercial Litigation: Tier 1
Fielding ‘one of the very finest groups of barristers around‘, Essex Court Chambers is a ‘go-to set for anything important or high-value‘. “The quality of the members is unparalleled. “A go-to set for anything important or high-value.’
- Fraud: Civil: Tier 1
‘A deep roster of highly-skilled barristers‘, ‘boasts remarkable strength-in-depth, allowing it to handle a wide range of complex cases with expertise and confidence’. The set’s members consistently appear in the largest fraud cases before the Commercial and Chancery Courts, and at appellate level, both at home and abroad.
- International Arbitration: Counsel: Tier 1
‘A market leading set with an excellent line up of senior and junior counsel’ for international arbitration work. Members are instructed as counsel to lead on the most complex, high-profile arbitrations and often politically sensitive matters, from commercial to investment treaty claims, involving the full spectrum of arbitral rules, spanning a broad geographical area and sectors.
- Public International Law: Tier 1
With ‘ the perfect combination of expertise and commercial awareness‘, pre-eminent public international law set Essex Court Chambers fields an outstanding portfolio of commercial and academically accomplished barristers who are highly adept at handling the full spectrum of public international law matters with particular expertise in state-versus-state disputes, land and sea territorial disputes, international trade and investment arbitrations, and state immunity issues. ‘Probably the strongest London set in public international law.’
The set has also been ranked in the following categories:
- Banking and Finance: Tier 2
- Employment: Tier 2
- Shipping: Tier 2
- Tax: VAT & Excise: Tier 2
- Insurance and Reinsurance: Tier 3
- Energy: Tier 3
- Administrative & Public Law: Tier 4
Members of Chambers once again congratulate their clerking team on receiving outstanding praise from clients collected by The Legal 500. The Essex Court Chambers team clerking team has received the following praise from clients:
- ‘Essex Court is a phenomenal set. The quality of the members is unparalleled and this is matched by a fantastic clerking team, led by Joe Ferrigno. A go-to set for anything important or high-value.
- ‘Essex Court are at the top of most people’s list: packed with talent.’
- ‘The service is invariably excellent, both overall and from the clerks’ room.‘
- ‘Clients receive a superlative level of service from the clerks at Essex Court Chambers.‘
- ‘Essex Court Chambers is simply the best of the best.‘
- ‘Clients benefit from the availability of counsel, ensuring prompt and personalised attention throughout the legal journey.‘
- 1The clerks have always been responsive and any issues have typically been resolved well and commercially.’
- “The chamber is always supportive, efficient and with a kind approach. Top-class service.’
- “A pleasure to work with. Efficient and friendly.’
Special mentions are given to:
- Joe Ferrigno who is described as “a class act” was awarded the Senior Clerk of Year Award at the Legal 500 UK Bar Awards 2024.
- Katie Myles “stands out – she is extremely personable, responsive, and efficient at servicing clients’ needs.”
- Kevin Grubb “is an outstanding diplomat and negotiator.”
- David Banks and Jac Sexton “are helpful and a pleasure to deal with.”
- Tom Gannon and Demi Woolger are “commended for their exceptional professionalism and dedication to their roles. They excel in their respective fields, demonstrating outstanding organisational skills, prompt responsiveness, and an unwavering commitment to providing top-notch client service.” They have a “proactive approach, attention to detail, and ability to manage administrative tasks effectively contribute significantly to the smooth running of cases.‘
Members, clerks and staff of Essex Court Chambers would like to thank our clients and colleagues for their kind feedback once again this year.