Lorraine is developing a broad commercial practice in line with Chambers’ profile. Her work covers a range of practice areas, including public international law, civil fraud, banking, insurance, shipping and arbitration.
Before coming to the Bar, Lorraine studied European Legal Studies at the University of Southampton, where she graduated ranked second in her year. As part of her degree, she studied French Law at the Université de Nantes. She then completed an LLM in International Law at University College London, followed by the BPTC at City Law School, as a Major Scholar of the Inner Temple.
- Arbitration & related court applications
- Assisted in defending a challenge brought under s. 68 of the Arbitration Act 1996 in respect of an arbitration award.
- Drafted submissions resisting a stay application on the basis that the claims fell outside of an arbitration clause.
- Assisted in resisting an application to set aside a Part 71 Order in relation to the enforcement of an arbitration award.
- Civil fraud & asset recovery
- Assisted with various enforcement proceedings to recover assets following a substantial award.
- Commercial dispute resolution
- Assisted with proceedings on the interpretation of a clause which provided for consent not to be unreasonably withheld.
- Conflict of laws & private international law
- Assisted with proceedings challenging the jurisdiction of the English court by reference to articles 29 and 30 of the Recast Brussels Regulation.
- Insurance & reinsurance
- Assisted with advice on whether a business could make a claim on their insurance policies, relying on difficulties stemming from Covid-19.
- Public international law
- Seconded to the Legal Directorate at the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office, advising on various legal matters.
- Advising on the appropriate characterisation of crimes under international criminal law.
- Assisted with proceedings which involved questions of justiciability, recognition of a foreign government and the “one voice” doctrine.
2020 Tenant at Essex Court Chambers
2019-2020 Pupil at Essex Court Chambers (with James Willan)
2018 Called to the Bar (Inner Temple)
2017-2018 BPTC, City Law School (Very Competent)
2016-2017 LLM in International Law, University College London (Distinction)
2013-2014 Erasmus in French Law, Université de Nantes
2011-2015 LLB in European Legal Studies, University of Southampton (First Class; graduated second in year)
2017 Major Scholarship, Inner Temple
2017 Duke of Edinburgh Entrance Scholarship, Inner Temple
2017 Best Oralist in Final Round, Philip C. Jessup International Moot Competition (UK National Rounds)
2017 Top 25 Best Oralists, Philip C. Jessup International Moot Competition (International Rounds, Washington DC)
2016 Hilda Martindale Educational Trust Award
2015 Law School Prize, Second Top Student in Final Year, University of Southampton