Ed has a broad commercial practice in line with Chambers’ profile with a particular focus on commercial litigation & arbitration, civil fraud, insurance, financial services, and professional negligence. He has experience of both substantial commercial litigation and arbitration.
Ed joined chambers in 2023 with 8 years of experience as a leading commercial junior in Australia. In 2020, 2021 and 2022 Ed was recognised in Doyle’s Guide as a leading commercial litigation and dispute resolution junior barrister in Victoria, Australia. Ed has substantial experience in Australia acting as sole counsel and as part of larger counsel teams in matters involving civil fraud, professional negligence, insurance & financial services, and class actions.
After completing his post-graduate studies at the University of Oxford, and prior to his call to the Bar in Australia, Ed was an associate in dispute resolution at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP in London.
- Arbitration & related court applications
Ed has experience in commercial arbitration and related court applications to set aside arbitral awards. He is currently instructed in a London seated arbitration in a claim for business interruption losses arising from the COVID-19 pandemic (led by John Lockey KC). He also acted (led by JG Gleeson KC and A Dinelli) in a substantial commercial arbitration in Victoria, Australia between joint venturers involved in the horse-racing industry.
- Civil Fraud & Asset Tracing
Many of Ed’s case involve allegations of fraud. He has experience obtaining freezing orders (and other forms of interim relief) and in contempt proceedings in Australia. Examples of recent cases in which Ed has been instructed include:
- Canaccord Genuity (Australia) Ltd v Allen  VSC 631 – acted for the claimant in successfully recovering the proceeds of a fraud from a third party recipient (unled).
- Khoury v Kirwan (No 4)  VSC 333 & (No. 6)  VSC 682 – breach of Harman undertaking and punishment for contempt (led by S Chrysanthou SC).
- Spotlight Pty Ltd v Mehta & Ors  FCA 1796 – acting for Spotlight in obtaining worldwide freezing orders arising from a fraudulent scheme perpetrated by former employees (led by M Osborne KC).
- White (Trustee) v MWL Financial Group Pty Ltd  FCA 2018 (with P Crutchfield KC and JWS Peters AM KC) – acting for US financial services firm and its directors in derivative proceeding alleging breach of fiduciary duties and diversion of corporate opportunity.
- Commercial dispute resolution
Ed has substantial experience of heavy commercial litigation in Australia. Examples of recent cases in which Ed has been instructed include:
- Aventus Cranbourne Thompsons Road v Home Consortium Leasehold Pty Ltd  VSCA 199 – Victorian Court of Appeal – whether a commercial landlord of a large format retail centre acted reasonably in withholding consent to a sublease (led by W A Harris KC on appeal and J Karkar KC at first instance).
- Finance & Guarantee Pty Ltd v Auswild  VSC 664 (led by A Strahan KC) – acting for the first defendant in 6 week trial involving historic claims of fraud and breaches of fiduciary duty.
- MWL Finance Group v Focus Australia Holdings LLC  FCA 548 – acting for an American financial services firm resisting an application to restrain a general meeting of members (with J M Peters AM KC
- Harplex Pty Ltd v Konstandellos (2018) 54 VR 174 – Victorian Court of Appeal – applicability of the common law rule governing joint obligations and whether release of one co-debtor releases all co-debtors who are jointly or jointly and severally liable for the same debt (unled).
Ed also has experience acting for claimants and defendants in class actions in Australia. For example:
- Earglow Pty Ltd v Newcrest Mining Ltd (with W Harris QC and R Craig – instructed by Herbert Smith Freehills) acted for Newcrest in a securities class action relating to gold production (settled prior to trial).
- Lay v Nuix & Ors  VSC 479 (with WAD Edwards SC – instructed by Banton Group) – acted for plaintiff group members in a carriage dispute in securities class action against Nuix Ltd, Macquarie Group and others.
- Bogan v Estate of Peter John Smedley  VSC 645 (discovery dispute) (with WAD Edwards SC – instructed by Banton Group) – acting for plaintiff group members in a securities class action against the former directors and auditor of Arrium Ltd.
- Insurance & reinsurance
Examples of cases in which Ed has been instructed include:
- Ed is currently acting for insurers in a London seated arbitration in a claim for business interruption losses brought by the owners of a Maldives hotel as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic (led by John Lockey KC).
- Acted for National Australia Bank in proceedings against its insurers and re-insurers in respect of losses incurred by Clydesdale Bank and Yorkshire Bank arising from the sale of interest rate hedging products in the UK (with W A Harris KC and R Craig KC – instructed by Herbert Smith Freehills).
Acted for a multi-national construction and engineering firm in dispute with its insurer in connection with findings of fraud made in arbitral proceedings in Singapore (with P Solomon KC – instructed by Herbert Smith Freehills).
- Media, art, entertainment
Ed has recently appeared unled in Australia in two of the leading appellate cases on the rights of the media to access materials filed in Court and the principle of open justice: Lee v Deputy Commissioner of Taxation  FCAFC 22 and Zhang v The Age Company  ACTCA 10.
- Professional negligence
Ed has considerable experience in Australia in professional negligence claims against barristers and solicitors. Examples of cases in which Ed has been instructed include:
- ACN 115 918 959 Pty Ltd v Hoeys Lawyers Pty Ltd  VSC 79 – acted for senior counsel and former Judge in complex professional negligence proceedings (led by D Collins KC).
- Bodycorp Repairers Pty Ltd v Holding Redlich  VSCA 17 – Victorian Court of Appeal – professional negligence and limitation of actions (with P Solomon KC).
- Dover Financial Advisors v HNLaw & Ors (S ECI 2020 01623) – acting for the fourth defendant in complex professional negligence proceedings against multiple legal firms and practitioners (unled).
2023: Tenant, Essex Court Chambers
2023: Called to the Bar England and Wales (Lincoln’s Inn)
2017: Sessional Teaching Fellow, University of Melbourne Law School
2015: Called to the Bar Victoria, Australia
2012 – 2014: Associate in Dispute Resolution, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP
2010: admitted as a solicitor, Victoria, Australia
2010 – 2011: BCL, Lady Margaret Hall, University of Oxford (Distinction)
2004 – 2008: LLB (Hons) / BA (Political Science), University of Melbourne.
2016: winner of the 2016 ICLC Young COMMBAR Competition
2011: read for the BCL as a recipient of Allan Myers Melbourne University Scholarship.