Salim Moollan has been in private practice as a barrister since 1998, specialising in international and commercial law, and in particular international and commercial arbitration.
He is called to the English and Mauritian Bars. He regularly advises and appears as Counsel before the English Courts, the Mauritian Courts, and international arbitral tribunals in numerous jurisdictions. He also regularly acts as arbitrator in ad hoc and institutional arbitrations. He holds a five-year mathematics degree from Ecole Polytechnique, Paris, a political science and economics degree from the Institut d’Etudes Politiques de Paris, and a double first degree in law from Downing College, Cambridge.
He is a past Chairman of the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL), the current Chairman of the UNCITRAL Arbitration Working Group and a current Vice-Chairman of the Commission, a Vice-President of the International Court of Arbitration of the ICC, a member of the LCIA Court, a Senior Visiting Lecturer in International Arbitration Law at King’s College London, and a member of the ICSID Panel of Arbitrators.
- Arbitration & related court applications
Advises and acts in a wide range of international arbitrations, including investment arbitration, under institutional (including LCIA and ICC) and ad hoc arrangements (including UNCITRAL), both under English law and foreign law. Recent and current cases include:-
- Acting for a pharmaceutical company in a substantial dispute under ICC rules, London seat, applying English law
- Acting for a state-owned entity in a substantial commodities dispute under LCIA rules, London seat, applying English law
- Acting for a Dubai company in an energy-related dispute under ICC Rules, London seat, applying Dubai law
- Acting for a French company in an energy-related dispute under ICC Rules, London seat, applying Nigerian law
- Acting for an English private equity firm in a substantial expropriation claim against a Latin American State
- Acting for an English mining firm in an expropriation claim against the Czech Republic under the UK/Czech BIT
- Acting for a Madagascar company in a commodities dispute under ICC Rules, Port-Louis seat, applying Malagasy law
- Acting as Counsel for one of the world’s leading communications groups in Europe’s largest telecoms arbitration in excess of €2 billion
- Acting for one of the world’s leading equipment companies in an ICC claim relating to the termination of licensing agreements in a developing country
- Acting for an English company in relation to a potential claim under the Energy Charter Treaty with respect to the expropriation of uranium assets worth in excess of $2 billion
- Acting for a State in relation to a claim for denial of justice under a BIT under the UNCITRAL Rules
- Conflict of laws & private international law
Advises and acts for commercial clients across the range of commercial litigation (shipping, insurance, joint venture agreements, agency agreements, sale of goods, asset and share sale agreements) before the Commercial Court and in other Courts, including jurisdictional disputes, summary hearings and trials. Most these cases involve complex issues of conflict of laws and jurisdiction, including anti-suit injunctions.
- Energy & natural resources
Advises and acts in a number of energy or energy-related cases including:
- Acting for Ghana National Petroleum Corporation in a dispute arising from the hedging of an oil field development
- Acting for a Dubai company in an ICC arbitration arising out of the construction of an oil refinery
- Acting for a French construction company in an ICC arbitration arising out of the construction of oil platforms
- Acting for a Greek construction company in an ICC arbitration arising out of the construction of a Liquid Natural Gas complex.
1998: Called to the Bar of England & Wales
1998: Called to the Mauritian Bar
- Lycée Labourdonnais, Mauritius (1981-1988)
- French Baccalauréat, Mathematics and Physics, Mention Trés Bien avec les Félicitations du Jury.
- French Government scholarship for the best baccalauréat results in Mauritius.
- Lycée Louis-le-Grand, Paris (1988-1990)
- Classes préparatoires aux Grandes Écoles scientifiques.
- École Polytechnique, Paris (1990-1993)
- Diplôme de l’École Polytechnique (Advanced Mathematics and Physics).
- Institut d’Études Politiques de Paris (Sciences-Po) (1993-1995)
- Political science and economics degree
- Downing College, Cambridge (1995-1997)
- BA (Law), First Class Honours in Part I and Part II (MA: 2001)
- Harris Scholarship
- Senior Harris Scholarship
- Inns of Court School of Law, London (1997-1998)
- BVC (Bar Vocational Course)
- Middle Temple’s Queen Mother Scholarship